Saturday, October 13, 2007

Rainbow Warriors Shine After Wet California Day

I turned my attention away last night from the striptease videos I was watching on YouTube and noticed that Hawaii, the No. 16 team in the nation, was trailing unranked San Jose State by two touchdowns with less than four minutes to play in the game.

But suddenly, as quick a Rainbow Warrior can strike (What?), Hawaii picked up a quick touchdown to get within seven points. On its following drive, San Jose State conveniently placed the pigskin on the wet, sloppy turf and, you guessed it, Hawaii recovered and soon thereafter drove for the tying score.

Regulation time ended shortly after midnight Eastern, and that's when I had to go to bed to ensure I got at least four hours of sleep that night. While I was dreaming (most likely about Liz Lemon), the Warriors won in overtime, 42-35.

Colt Brennan, Hawaii's star quarterback and Heisman Trophy candidate, threw for 545 yards on 74 pass attempts – that's a WACky record — four TDs, but also four interceptions. Rain fell all day before the game, so we'll blame Brennan's four picks on field wetness.

No comments: