Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Almost As If It Never Happened

I give up. Late last night I sort of promised to make mention today of the 13th anniversary of the Monday Night Football game on Halloween, 1994 in which the Packers blew past the Bears 33-6 in monsoon-like conditions at Soldier Field. And after days of searching, I can't find a single photo of the game online. As you know, a sports weather blog is useless without the visuals to drive it. I'm not sure this Internet thing is all it's cracked up to be. I do have the game on VHS tape, but it's probably still in my parents' basement. But you do remember the game, right? The weather, with gales up to 36 mph, seemed to affect the home team more than the visitors. The Bears had only 95 yards of offense through the first three quarters and didn't score until the fourth when the Packers, who had the wind at their backs for the first and third frames, had put the game out of reach. Green Bay and the driving rain also forced five turnovers out of the Bears, while the Pack had none. More than 19,000 fans who had tickets to the game opted to stay away from Soldier Field that Monday night and settle for watching from the dry cozy confines of the own living rooms – or man caves, right Ty? I wonder how many kids went trick-and-or-treating in the driving rain that night in Chicago.

No comments: