Thursday, October 11, 2007

Oklahoma's Reigning Back

Oklahoma running back DeMarco Murray is getting plenty of love from the press this week, particularly in the wake of his 128-yard performance that helped his team defeat rival Texas last Saturday. A year ago, Murray redshirted with a turf toe injury and has since rebounded to demonstrate plenty of gridiron talent this season. Not to shabby for a fella who didn't play running back until he was a high school freshman. The text below is from Thursday's Tulsa World:

"I didn't start playing running back until my freshman year in high school," he said. "Before that it was linebacker, DB and all that."

The football savant who switched Murray over? "My running backs coach at Gorman High School, Coach Wright," he said. "He pretty much told me, 'Hey, if you want to do it, we'll give you a shot.' I guess he had a lot of faith in me."

Wright believed because of what he had seen.

"It was DeMarco's ability to make people miss as a defensive player," he said. "He'd turn his body certain directions, glide through the line, shed blockers and make plays. I figured if he could do that, he'd be a pretty good at running back for us. We tried him out and lo and behold . . . He was like a fish in water. He took right to it."


In the photo above, Murray runs threw Miami defenders during a steady rain in Norman.

No comments: