Friday, July 13, 2007

What? I Missed It?

This year’s Wimbledon was one of the soggiest in recent memory, and I, a person who from time-to-time writes a sports weather blog, made no mention of it. Big deal. “I just didn’t feel like it,” is my only excuse. (Plus, I just couldn’t find a great photo of Maria Sharapova getting wet.) It’s not that I don’t like tennis. I do. But this year, I just couldn’t get into it. I’m not sure I watched one live serve and volley. That said, I promise, to the three of you out there who read this nonsense, that’ll I’ll do better next Wimbledon. And then in 2009, a brand spankin’ new retractable roof will be in service over the grass courts and everyone can stop bitchin’ about the rain.

I should have mentioned this yesterday – Give me a break, I’m moving into a new house…Jeez – but there was some uber cool fog that moved in the Double A Eastern League All-Star Game Wednesday night in Norwich, Conn. The game was called because of what one local media outlet there called “thick-as-pea-soup fog.” Pea soup! Yummy! The score was tied at 2-2 in the middle of the third inning when everyone was told to go home. This brings up the question: Should ballparks install fog lights? Hmm! There’s a debate for sports radio during the doldrums of summer. Below is a cool photo (AP Photo/Jessica Hill) of some of the players lining up during the singing of the National Anthem.



The Union Leader in Manshester, New Hampshinre reports this:

Conditions were difficult enough at the start with center field barely visible from behind home plate. But with a full house and a cable television audience to satisfy, no one was willing to make the tough call to delay the game.

"If we kept playing," said Jeff Corsaletti, who played center field for the Northern squad, and was one of three Portland Sea Dogs on hand, "somebody was going to get hurt. There was a ball hit over my head that I didn't even see. I just heard it hit the wall. They did the right thing by calling it. It was crazy."

I love this photo. It’s not sports related, but it is fog related.

Speaking of fog, it poses no problem for the Brazilian soccer (football) team during a recent practice near Rio de Janeiro.

I still haven’t gotten around to watching the NFL Network show about the Top 10 Bad Weather Games. However I did TiVo it, so I should get to it soon. Who am I kidding? I’m still living with 90s technology. I taped the show.

I don’t know much about sports in Japan, but if there were any games planned there for this weekend, those events will have to be rescheduled thanks to Typhoon Man-Yi.

One more thing: This is not weather related, but by now you know that soccer star David Beckham and his wife Victoria have arrived in the U.S. And no doubt you’ve read that it’s the biggest craze surrounding Brits coming to America since the Beatles. So, will the Becks make as big a splash on America culture as the Beatles? (I can’t even write that question without laughing outloud.) Not bloody likely! (Lame!)

Good night everybody. Don’t forget you umbrella, ella, ella, ay, ay. (Is somebody smoking something around here?)

No comments: