Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Rain in the Forecast for All-Star Game

Not that I’m hoping for it, but there is a good chance of rain in Pittsburgh tonight for the Major League Baseball All-Star game. According to this nifty blog on the USA Today Web site, folks in the Steel City may get a little wet as the chance of rain increases to about 70 percent at game time. I don’t want anyone to get too wet tonight, but a little rain never hurt anyone and the precipitation would provide me, the guy who for some reason maintains a blog about baseball rain delays, a nice photo of rain falling on the Mid-Summer Classic. Could it get any better? I’ll have to check my history because I’m not sure there has ever been a rain delay or a rain out of an MLB All- Star game. While, I do the research, you can read the USA Today story that also provides some interesting nuggets about baseball physics. I’m such a nerd. By the way, the cool weather graphic above is from Bob Swanson and Julie Snider of USA Today.

UPDATE: Apparently a little rain did fall Tuesday night just before the All-Star game in Pittsburgh. Why else would MLB Commissioner Bud Selig be wearing a Pirates poncho? (No, commish. That’s not rain. Manny Ramirez is peeing from the upper deck.) Anyway, after a little research, I did learn that the 1952 All-Star game was called because of rain after five innings at Philadelphia’s Shibe Park. Jackie Robinson hit a two-run homer in the first inning, but the American League came away with a 3-2 victory.

No comments: